10/29/2010

Conquering Cancer With a Soul - Pelicans, Coconuts & Butterflies | Pdazzler

Book Review:  Pelicans, Coconuts & Butterflies – Ani Kaspar

Pelicans, Coconuts & Butterflies

“Pelicans, Coconuts and Butterflies” is a breast cancer survivor’s story by new author Ani Kaspar.   I have read dozens of cancer survivor’s books and articles over the last 21 years.   When I came across Ani Kaspar’s account on Facebook I had just met with a friend whose wife was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.   I noted Pelicans, Coconuts and Butterflies was Ani’s account of dealing with her own personal breast cancer challenge and thought the book may be a great gift for my friend’s wife.

When received I sat down to review Ani’s story prior to posting it off to my friend.  I was not prepared for the marvelous personal accounts of diagnosis, facing of daily challenges and the ultimate triumph incorporated into Ani’s story of her struggles.   Ani Kaspar’s ability to show her human side, intertwined with the spirituality required in chapter after chapter left me unable to sit the book down.  I can only describe her story telling abilities as masterful.

The bonus is after 20 plus years of cancer education I was learning useful medical information without being preached to or taught in a scholarly way.     The cancer tips, facts and figures were so skillfully intertwined into Ani’s story that picking them up was second nature.    Hopefully, you can tell I’m giving Pelicans, Coconuts and Butterflies my unqualified endorsement and suggesting it be in everyone’s library, cancer patient or not.

Author Ani Kaspar

Excerpt:  Pelicans, Coconuts & Butterflies

“Yesterday, my double mastectomy surgery was scheduled.  My surgeon is one of the best in the nation, a Susan B Komen fellow, with a resume that would shame Linus Pauling or Nickolai Tesla.  I canceled our appointment to radically transform my breasts.  Also about a month ago, I canceled the surgery to remove my uterus and ovaries.  Michael and I argued for months about my second thoughts, my fearful thoughts of surgery.  The eternal feminine prevailed.  I changed my mind.

I’ve been told by medical-professional friends of mine I can now look forward to being fired as a patient by both surgeons – both women in their late thirties, making handsomely healthy livings dissecting women’s bodies.   Whatever.  The day before each surgery, every cell in my body begged for me to cancel.  Maybe I am a coward.  Maybe I am simply sane.  I must listen to my body.

Now, a year after diagnosis, I remain committed to my original plan of action.  Natural cancer cure or natural death.  How relieved, freed, right I feel.  Every cell has stilled itself, relaxed into the rightness of my choice.  My loving-life cells could not weather the trauma of such invasive surgery.  My femaleness, my very being, cried no.  My soul’s shaking won.  My heart’s powerful love won.  My cell’s wisdom won.  I rest in truth.  God/dess knows the truth, lives the truth of life, of death, of rebirth.  Today I am that victorious God/dess   I am God/dess today.”

Pelicans, Coconuts & Butterflies – Conquering Cancer With Life of Soul

Posted via email from soulhangout's posterous

No comments: