3/31/2012

Dave Schmidt: Building Unity

Dave then...

Steve: Dave is one of the co-founders of the Lightworkers Fund/Hope Chest. Dave was formerly a Washington state senator, minister, financier, and army reservist. There isn’t much he hasn’t done and, as he says, he’s distinctly from “the other side of the aisle”! If we can live together and love each other, anyone can!

As a child growing up I lived in a unique setting. It was a small town in Oregon of less than 4000 people,  founded by a religious community in the late 1800’s and attracted all kinds of churches. There was always this rumor floating around of a national magazine doing an article on our unique little community.

Interview with Dave Schmidt and Steve Beckow. The first part of the show (first hour) is mainly biographical; the second part is more of a discussion of issues.

What Do You Think? Interview

(It takes fifteen seconds for the audiofile to load and begin.)

In the early 1960’s we had the highest juvenile delinquency rate per capita in the state of Oregon while we also had the largest number of churches per capita of almost anywhere in America. Population of less than 4000 and 32 churches. You can do the math, one church for about every 125 residents which included children and babies.

Talk about diversity, we had it. And wow, did it show up in the public schools on Monday. Most of the recess and lunch time seemed to be kids arguing about who was right about their Sunday school and church experience.

Division, hatred, fights, you name it. Somewhere along the way someone would sprinkle in a little bit about God is love. But that always seemed to take a back seat to arguing about doctrine and what you could or could not do, our church is right and you are wrong, please do not try to convince me otherwise, etc. When you had 32 churches of all kinds of different denominations, well, you can imagine what it leads to.

Then if it wasn’t about religion and for those not attending church, it revolved around politics. Who was right? Why don’t they solve this problem my way? If it wasn’t for those damned Democrats things would be much better or if those Republicans had a little more compassion we could all get along.

Now we can see why our parents or some other so called wise adults would say we were never to talk about religion or politics in our homes. In other words, zip your lip when it comes to things that create division, anger, hatred and animosity in your community. We just all want to get along.

... and now.

Well, I guess I didn’t do a very good job of listening to my parents, for most of my professional career has been around religion and politics. I spent 12 years in church ministry with a Master’s Degree in Biblical Studies and 20 years in politics ending up being a State Senator in WA State.

What did I discover? These are what I call arenas of passion. These are the two biggest areas that generate thoughts and ideas of passion and drama within our collective communities. If we as a human race are to move into a collective consciousness of oneness we’ll need to heal our thoughts and ideas about religion and politics.

It’s so easy to migrate to groups that think and believe as we do. We think we’re developing oneness when our small group meets and discusses things in common. But how do they react when a group discussing new age and awareness issues is infiltrated by a conservative Christian who endorses and believes in Republican politics?

Issues of passion develop thoughts and feelings of passion and drama within us. When I first entered the legislature I experienced this huge wall of separation called “the aisle.” We would use the term to describe others as being from the “other side of the aisle.” Republicans vs. Democrats, Majority vs. the Minority, power vs. weakness, being in control or being controlled, it was all about division and separation.

I experienced and witnessed the ego at work, always wanting to create and divide around issues of passion. Our egos loved this environment as they would feed off the negative energy that such circumstances would generate.

Toward the end of my first term I began to realize that this division and separation was not working. I was taught to love my neighbor as myself, and that had to include my fellow politician from “across the aisle.” I worked at separating the individual from their view or position on an issue. I worked at loving them even when they were so different from me. It took a while, but soon I had become a Republican who could love them and have some wonderful Democrats as close friends.

Now I must admit, my background makes me somewhat an oddity in this community. This 2012 Scenario group is comprised mostly of new age or awareness thinkers who would see them themselves leaning much more to Democrat values vs. those of Republicans.

Steve Beckow and I come from diametrically different backgrounds. Yet, I have an ever growing love for him. I have the privilege of calling him more than a friend, but a close brother as we are moving into unity in community.

If I as a former conservative Christian pastor and Republican politician can make the transition to put love before issues, to put unity before myself, to surrender to a higher consciousness and love those so different than me, so can you. It’s time for us to make unity in community more than just talk, but to lead the way by stepping out of our comfort zones. My challenge to you is to find someone who is very different than you and make them your friend. Allow yourself to experience love that goes beyond the surface.

I’m still working on my transition, but I can say I’ve learned how to look beyond the issues and give love to the person. When you experience the bliss and satisfaction of love that comes from Spirit, you realize that issues creating division and separation are mostly petty little ego thoughts that need to be released and healed.

Love truly is all we need.

Share

Posted via email from soulhangout's posterous

No comments: