7/15/2010

GenY Careers Opportunities & Entrepreneurs | Worknow_Aotearoa_NZ

It had been a while since the game of generation bashing has had a look in but the floor is open again to generational commentary, stereotyping and general whinging following a research report on the values, attitudes, behaviors and demographic characteristics of American Gen Y | Millennials: A Portrait of Generation Next

Born 1979 outside or upper end of the generational “age bracket” does nothing to change the fact that I identify most strongly with the Y Generation. While I can see in many friends my age, a stronger tendency to Gen X some of us never had the new generational “stereotypes” to qualify our actions.

Generation Y on Careers

I had to live my “traits” before they became widely touted indicators of our generation. My work career for instance in which I’ve had more than 10 jobs in the last 10 years. Inevitably, there were interviews in which I was asked to justify my job “hopping” to which my response involved learning, challenge, personal circumstance.

Now, in retrospect I can claim this as normal for an entire generation of people. No longer such an outlier, there is some reassurance to the fact that the following opinion is as true to me, as it is Amanda and probably millions more like us.

I don’t think that staying at one company for 20+ years necessarily correlates with building a career. Gen Y’s are more adaptive and willing to jump companies if it means advancing their career and lifestyle goals. I believe that this is a strength of our generation, not a weakness. I would rather change jobs many times to advance my career than allow my career to stagnate due to “corporate loyalty.” ~ Amanda, Tustin, CA : July 8, 2010 4:24 pm

Gen Y on Opportunities

Granted, I can understand that a CV of contract research and 6 – 12 month “career” efforts probably looked disconcerting to potential employers. And probably well it should because each job was for me about discovering something new about what I wanted to do with my life.

In some cases I learnt lessons about what I would do and what I could achieve but in most I learnt more about what I didn’t want. It was a process of discovery that has lead me to the clear realisation that as an employee other people were never going to allow me to challenge the status quo, learn and grow by testing limits.  I was not made to fit the “employee” mold, a fact which I believe will prove true of many of our generation.

Being a part of “Gen Y” and soon to be a graduate of business school. I see my generation as one that will not sit in the corporate world to be told what to do when we know it is out dated. We want to be entrepreneurs and create our own opportunities. We will be a generation that wants social responsibility and making our communities better ~ Fletch, Omaha, NE : July 8, 2010 10:00 am

Gen Y Entrepreneurs

Love us or hate us by 2020 we will represent almost 40% of the New Zealand workforce. Maybe it’s time to accept that aspects of our work ethic, our ability to adapt quickly and easily to change for instance, are more suited to modern living.

Our entrepreneurial spirit makes us increasingly willing and able to take risks, our education has armed us with knowledge and insight and today’s technology allows us to connect, share and collaborate in new, more effective ways.

Today we recognise that we always have the option of working for ourselves and at Worknow we encourage this entrepreneurial spirit, the challenge of directing your own future and employing your talent, skills and interests to discover your dream job

Digg This

Reddit This

Stumble Now!

Buzz This

Vote on DZone

Share on Facebook

Bookmark this on Delicious

Kick It on DotNetKicks.com

Shout it

Share on LinkedIn

Bookmark this on Technorati

Post on Twitter

Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

ShareThis

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 at 12:26 pm and is filed under Balance, Connect, Dream Job, Entrepreneurship, Ethic, Generation Y, Work, Work Life, Work Life Balance, Work Talent Match. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Posted via email from soulhangout's posterous

No comments: